Their brochure says, "Many people who are severely obese have struggled with their weight for years, sometimes since childhood. They may have tried diet after diet, seeking to find a solution. It is not uncommon for someone who is severely obese to have lost significant amounts of weight several times in their life, only to regain it again. The chronic cycle of losing and regaining weight is physically taxing on the body and emotionally exhausting for the psyche. The problem is not the inability to lose weight, but the ability to successfully maintain the weight loss over time."
"The causes of obesity are multiple and complex, and not simply a result of overeating or lack of willpower. Research has shown that in many cases a significant, underlying cause of severe obesity is genetic."
And then later, it states, "Studies have demonstrated that once the problem is established, diet and exercise programs have a limited ability to provide effective long-term relief."
I know that some people will be supportive of my choice while others will be critical. Some people will see it as the "easy" way out. I don't think there is anything easy about submitting myself to surgery in order to have my internal organs rerouted. I really like what THIS DOCTOR had to say about it.
On top of that, I have additional guilt because we're on Medicaid, but my love for my kids is stronger than my worry about guilt.


No comments:
Post a Comment