Here are some of the things they recommend prior to surgery:
- If you smoke or drink, you MUST stop. Smoking is extremely dangerous after bariatric surgery. Good thing I don't do either.
- Have a counselor or therapist in place to help deal with post-surgery issues.
- Start a food journal. It will help you recognize when you are the most vulnerable and why you eat. Apparently 75% of overeating is done for emotional reasons and the number one reason for emotional eating is boredom.
- Recruit support from family and friends who are supportive of your decision to have surgery. Take them to a support group with you. Refrain from telling everyone as people who are not supportive can add stress.
- Remove all "trigger foods". Stock your pantry and fridge with bariatric "safe foods."
- Begin to mourn the loss of food in your life as you now know it. Begin to celebrate the new life that will begin.
- Begin to incorporate exercise into your life.
It's always nice to meet other people who are facing similar challenges. I hope to attend one of the weight loss surgery support groups soon. We were also given the names of some books to read that deal with coping with the surgery. One other major thing I need to change in my life is my sleep habits. They have always been atrocious. I stay up way too late and don't get enough sleep.
It was an encouraging meeting that promised emotional support throughout the process.

No comments:
Post a Comment