Thursday, August 14, 2014

Six Weeks Post Op Visit

I've lost 44 pounds and have 100.5 to go. I almost have less than 100 to lose and I weigh less than 100 pounds more than David. These are positives for me, even though they're still big numbers.

The doctor's visit went great. Judy, the nurse practitioner, says I'm a model patient and that I'm doing great. I had lab work done, but I won't get the results for another week. My blood pressure is good (135/75), but not good enough to go completely off my meds, so I have to keep taking the half dose.

Here are my questions and answers from today.

  • I qualify for a bariatric vitamin assistance program with Celebrate Vitamins. This means I can get free vitamins that are designed specifically for bariatric patients. I needed to know which ones to take. I will be taking the complete version that includes iron and I will also get calcium pills from them. That means I won't have to buy B1 or B12 or multivitamins anymore.
  • Are there still restrictions on how much I can lift? No.
  • Can I start swimming? Yes. Basically I can do anything now, but I have to pay attention to my body and not over strain.
  • What can I eat now? I can start trying to eat anything. My portion sizes have to stay the same. Dry food will be easier to tolerate than gummy food. (For example, toast will be easier to eat than regular bread.) If something I eat results in throw up with blood (this happened earlier with a tortilla), I have to go back to soft food for 24 hours.
  • How much protein should I aim for now? 60-80 grams.
  • Do I still need to test my blood? NO!! (This is fantastic!)
I feel great. I no longer have pain although my left side is still a little sensitive to the touch. I still get really tired and need a nap most days, but overall things couldn't be better. I realized that I no longer cough all the time and I'm not obsessed with my mortality. I no longer worry about when I'm going to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment