Saturday, August 2, 2014

Public Outings

I've faced my first two challenges and done very well. (Pat on my back.) It's easy to follow the plan when I'm home and have total control over when and what I eat, but I've been worried about when real life steps in and I have to adjust.
The first experience was on Thursday when a friend invited me and the kids to eat at Fatz CafĂ©. I had never been to Fatz and wasn't sure what I'd be able to eat. I ended up ordering a baked potato from the side dish menu and eating half of it. I even ate it "loaded" because the sour cream adds protein to my diet and it's hard for me to get in all my protein. It had bacon on it and I ended up having to pick that off because I could tell after the first bite that I couldn't chew it enough to get it to digest properly. I ended up eating the rest of the potato for dinner later that evening. Before they brought out the meal, they gave us a plate of rolls that are supposedly amazing. In the past, I would have had 2-4 rolls before the meal arrived. I love bread. I wasn't hungry for the rolls and I knew I probably wouldn't be able to digest them, so I just took a very small pinch off of one to get the taste. It was all I needed. 
Today I had to attend an all-day meeting for my church calling. They had muffins and fruit for breakfast, M&M's (including peanut -  my favorite!) on the table, and pizza for lunch. I love pizza. I drank a protein shake before I went to the meeting and took my own cottage cheese for lunch. I did end up going to a different room to eat because I didn't want to be conspicuous. I don't think anyone even noticed that I did anything different. Overall it was easier than I expected. (Although sitting in a chair all day about killed my abdomen!)

Fortunately, at this stage in my journey, I really don't get hungry and nothing feels irresistible. Plus, I've had the experience of trying to eat too much and having it come right back up because it didn't fit. I'm sure at some point, these challenges will be more difficult, but for today it wasn't hard. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh; can't believe the roll power. I would have failed. My hat's off to you.

    ReplyDelete