Thursday, June 26, 2014

Sibling Support

Through this whole thing, one of the things for which I'm most grateful is the support of my family. When I told my mom, she cried because she was happy I was doing it. I know some people don't have this kind of support when they opt for weight-loss surgery.
Initially I wasn't going to tell any of them except my sister about my surgery until after it was finished because I just wanted to do it without any commentary, but my sister convinced me to tell my mom and then my mom convinced me to tell my brothers. I was so grateful for all of their support and encouragement. I'm glad I told them because I know they'll all be praying for me.

Throughout my life, my family has always shown me unconditional love. I have never felt that any of my siblings were embarrassed to be seen with me, despite my weight. That has been really important to me.

Some families share a weight problem. Not mine. Check out my siblings.

My brothers all run triathlons. My brother Clark started it off and has been a bit crazy about running tris for several years. He is incredibly fit and at almost 45 has an incredible body. My brother Erik is skinnier now than when he was in high school. My brother Scott seems to be able to run tris without even training for them. All three of them are in incredible shape.
My sister Tiffani might struggle with her weight if she weren't such an avid runner. She's run Ragnar and a half marathon. She's the kind of person that even runs when she's on vacation - in Hawaii! She runs in 100 degree weather in Las Vegas for Pete's sake.
Sometimes I find it unbelievable that I share genetics with these people. Even after I lose weight, I can't imagine wanting to run a tri or a half marathon. MAYBE I'll do a 5K.

No comments:

Post a Comment