Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pre-Op Visit

On Thursday, I had my post-operative doctor's appointment. David came with me. They had suggested that I bring a support person with me so that they have a better understanding of everything I needed to do in the days before and after surgery. I was glad David got to meet my doctor and some of the support staff so he could see how supportive and friendly they are.

I had a list of questions for them. I'll share them here.

1. Can I take any of the following medications
Aleve? No
Tums? Yes, calcium is good
Excedrine Migraine? Never Again (oh, dear)

2. Are the vitamins I'm currently taking (CVS brand) sufficient for what I'll need after surgery?
Yes, but I have to stop taking them until after the surgery. Instead I needed to start taking B12 (under the tongue liquid version) and B1 (which was much harder to find than I anticipated). After surgery, I need to take chewable vitamins for awhile.

3. What about my prescription medication?
Take as normal until the night before surgery. That night, don't take blood sugar medication. I shouldn't ever have to take it again! Only take thyroid medication the morning of surgery -  nothing else. My dosages will be adjusted as I loose weight.

4. Does Medicaid cover post-surgery counseling?
Yes as long as I find a therapist that accepts it. (My brother Clark, who has a masters degree in family counseling recommended I get some counseling to increase my chances of success.)

5. When can I go swimming? Shower?
Wait at least six weeks to swim, but I can shower anytime (provided the surgery is able to be completed laproscopically).

6. When can I travel? Can I go to my family reunion the week after surgery?
No family reunion. Biggest fear is blood clots and there is also concern over post-op check ups and diet progression.

7. When will I know if I can get rid of my CPAP?
I need to bring it with me to the hospital and will probably continue to need it until I've lost 100 pounds.

8. Does Medicaid cover 100% of the surgical costs?
Yes  

9. I have heard about a bariatric surgery called duodenal switch. Does my doctor do this?
No one in South Carolina performs this surgery.

10. Will I be able to go up and down stairs right away? What will my mobility be like?
I will be up and walking right away. I can do stairs, but not frequently. I will need to walk a little bit every day. The distance will depend on how I'm feeling.

11. How long will be my recovery time?
It really varies depending on each individual. Some people feel really good right away and others take much longer. I should be feeling pretty much normal by the third week. It will depend a great deal on how I tolerate nutrition, particularly protein, and if I'm able to avoid dehydration.

I won't be able to drive for a week. I can drive after that if I'm not on pain medication anymore.

After surgery, I will be on strictly liquids, but I need to be sure an get some protein every two hours or so. This will come primarily from protein drinks. I can also eat sugar free jello if I'm able to keep it down.

I've been doing really well on my low-carb (20 mg) diet that I started on Monday. Surprisingly enough, I haven't been hungry (I really believe this is a blessing from God). I've even lost 9 pounds since starting it. Today was my first lapse. I was making cookies for the second time in three days (for events, not by choice) and I ate a piece of dough. In and of itself, this is actually a success since I usually eat much more dough and a couple of cookies. However, I was dismayed to learn that there are 26 carbs in that ball of dough!

One negative side effect is that my skin has really broken out. I've never had much trouble with my skin, but I have zits all over my face right now. It's driving me crazy!

We're into the final countdown - one week to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment