Saturday, September 21, 2019

Full Disclosure

I didn't want to start this program for two reasons 1) it's expensive with a big start up cost and 2) it felt like a pyramid scheme. Here's where I stand on these concerns at this point.

Expensive: Yep. It is. But the money I'm spending on the pre-packaged food is money I would be spending on food anyway. As my friend (and now coach) said, I would pay it if it were a prescription I had to have. So I look at it as a short-term investment for long-term health. I also spent more at first on actual food, but some of that was just to start up. I spend more to buy healthier food like super lean hamburger and low fat dressings, but I feel good about what I'm putting in my body and that of my children.

I think the expense also helps keep me honest on the plan because I don't want to cheat and waste all that money. Since starting, I've made cookies and cinnamon rolls - without even licking the dough off my fingers. I've walked by chips and dip without eating a single one. My self control has been complete, probably also in part because I'm not hungry.

One thing I like about the program is that their end game is to get me off the program. Not exactly off, but to a place where I eat less and less of their food and more and more of food that I prepare, using healthy guidelines. They aren't trying to make me dependent on their food, but rather trying to teach me what healthy eating and living looks like.
Pyramid: On the program, you have a coach. That coach has a coach and so on. If people decide they want to try the program after seeing me have success, over time and with training, I can become a coach for them. There is money in this - hence the pyramid aspect. However, I was told I could try the program even without buying the food - but it would be difficult to do. Honestly, I don't care if I make money, but it would be cool if I could make enough to cover my own food. Since joining, I have realized that the coach is actually a valuable part of the program and not just a pyramid set up. I know a couple of people on the program and none of them have pressured me to try this. They have just shared their success and enthusiasm. While it is multi-level marketing, it's not a pyramid. I don't have to sell anything or recruit anyone if I don't want to.

In my case, my coach is one of my best friends. We've been friends since we were nannies together in Newport, Rhode Island, 33 years ago! Bottom line is, I trust this woman - with my life. I tried to find pictures of us together back then, but I couldn't find any. Here is one of us a couple of years ago when we went to visit her family in Seattle.
She has lost over 70 pounds and is now a size 8. I have been inspired watching her journey. She looks like this now. (Her husband is also on the program.)
It has been so helpful for me to be able to contact her when I have a question. She gave me a list of things to purchase to get started with recipes for the first week and helped me place my first order and also told me some changes to make to my second order. Her experience and success is the catalyst for my trying the program. If I can do that for someone else, then that would be cool.

Some of the stuff I found online made me doubt if I should do the program (I Google everything), but as I watched my friends drop more and more weight, I knew I had to try it. I trust people I know personally more than internet experts. I have been so happy to see the scale moving down and my energy level going up. I can't wait to see how far I can go.

No comments:

Post a Comment