Today, after a month of not weighing myself, I finally did an official weigh in. I have lost 4.4 pounds! This is fantastic because I was terrified that I would have gained 10 or something horrible like that. I knew my clothes were still loose, so I was hoping that I would have lost. I still wish it were faster, but I'm grateful for any loss. It became almost as stressful to wait a month to weigh in, so I don't want to do that again, but I also think weighing every day becomes stressful and discouraging. I think I'll just start weighing whenever I want and at least once a week.
Today marks 10 months since my surgery. I really hope to have lost 100 pounds by the year mark, but it may not happen. I recently had a birthday and it was amazing to think of the difference between how I feel now and how I felt last year.
Heaviest weight: 296.5
Surgery weight: 274.5
Today's weight: 207.8
Total pounds lost: 88.7 lbs.
Total pounds lost: 88.7 lbs.
Starting BMI: 49
Today's BMI: 34.6
Back when I was preparing for the surgery, I made a list of things I was excited about doing once I had lost some weight. (you can read that post HERE). I thought it would be interesting to go back and look at that list and see how many of those things I have been able to do.- Hugging my husband without my belly getting in the way (same for slow dancing) - CHECK!
- Sleeping without a CPap - CHECK!
- Sliding into a booth at a restaurant without worrying that I won't fit - CHECK!
- Buckling my seat belt on an airplane without having to ask for an extension - CHECK!
- Lowering the tray table on said airplane - CHECK!
- Picking something off the floor while buckled into the seat belt on a plane or in the car - CHECK!
- Being carried by my husband - CHECK! (well, sort of)
- Fitting into an assigned seat at a theater or stadium - CHECK!
- Holding my laptop on my lap - CHECK!
- Holding my kids on my lap - CHECK!
- Trying on clothes - CHECK!
- Crossing my legs - CHECK!
- Holding my hands in my lap instead of my arms crossed over my belly - CHECK!
- Helping my kids ride their bikes - haven't tried this one
- Wearing a cute bra - CHECK!
- Feeling comfortable in a swimming suit (is that even possible?) - CHECK!
- Going out with the women in my family and not feeling like the ugly duckling - undecided
- Not being tired all the time - I'm still tired pretty much all the time
- Riding all the rides at Disneyland (except Magic Mountain, it makes me nauseous) - pending
- Being a better example for my daughter - in progress
I am seriously shocked at how many of these have been accomplished.
At the same time I posted the above list, I also listed some things I was worried about.
- Losing my hair - I'm not a big fan of my hair these days, but I'll take the trade.
- Dying during surgery (I'm terrified of not waking up from anesthesia) - I survived.
- Being awake during surgery, but not able to let the doctors know I can feel everything - I didn't wake up.
- Looking older and wizened (more wrinkles) - My neck is pretty wrinkly, but I think the rest of me looks younger.
- Excessive saggy skin - I have it. Especially my arms, inner thighs and stomach, but again, I'll take the trade off.
- Looking in the mirror and not recognizing myself - I did go through that for a time, but I'm used to my new face.
- Being thirsty. (I drink a lot of water and that will have to stop.) - I'm much less thirsty. Apparently my excessive thirst was a sign of high blood sugar.
- Insomnia (some people suffer from this after the surgery) - I don't have insomnia, but it is a lot harder for me to fall asleep than it was before. A LOT HARDER.
- Not losing weight despite the surgery - 88 pounds and counting!
- Gaining the weight back - I will have to stay aware and fight hard to prevent myself from slipping back.
I feel like a winner!


No comments:
Post a Comment