Saturday, July 12, 2014

Surgery Sucks!

I do not use the word "sucks" lightly. It's an ugly word that is used too often. However, it perfectly describes how I've felt the past few days. This surgery was WAAAYYY more difficult than I anticipated. Had I known what it would be like, I'm afraid I would have chickened out. So here is the good, the bad and the downright ugly.

On Monday morning, David and I headed to the hospital. I got checked in by 8:00 a.m., changed into my lovely hospital gown and got settled in my bed.
I got an i.v. The one they tried to put in my hand blew, so I ended up with one in my arm. Apparently they call that the "painful spot," but it really wasn't bad. I didn't bruise much from either of them, which is unusual for me.
I got hooked up to this babyl
And was covered by this strange contraption that blows warm air. It was kind of awkward, but very comfy. I also got some cool leg massagers to prevent blood clots. I wish I had a pair of them at home.
My surgery was scheduled for 11:00 a.m., but apparently my surgeon had been asked to assist a plastic surgeon with something and the plastic surgeon didn't even show up until after noon. I got lots of apologies about it, but it's not like I was going anywhere! I read about half of this book. Little did I know it would be the last thing I would read for quite a while. (I couldn't find the book cover, but it looks just like the movie poster.)
At some point, I got wheeled out and fell asleep before they even put the anesthesia mask on. When I woke up, I realized it was a done deal and the surgery was over. Here I am giving a rather groggy thumb's up.
My room was HUGE! We called it the Taj Majal. The hospital staff called it the Strom Thurmond room. (You probably have to live in South Carolina to understand the reference.)
I had a nice view, which I didn't really get to appreciate.
David even had his own queen sized bed. What?!
My stomach looked like this. I actually have seven small incisions where the instruments were inserted.
When we had initially discussed surgery, I was under the impression that I would be able to go home Tuesday, but when my surgeon came to see me prior to surgery, he said Wednesday at the earliest. On Tuesday, I was feeling pretty good and the kids came to see me. I was so glad to see them. I was able to drink 4 oz. of liquid at a time.
I got some pretty flowers from my sister and from Mom, David and the kids. I felt good to go home the next day. But some time later that day things took a turn for the worse.
I think it all started when I got a migraine. I have usually been able to control my migraines with Excedrine Migraine, but since the surgery, I can never take that again. They kept giving me Tylenol, but Tylenol has never helped my headaches. My headache soon caused nausea. On top of that, they started giving me dilaudid. Just for the record - I HATE DILAUDID. It gave me dry heaves and made me itch all over. By Wednesday morning, I was in bad shape and felt like I was dying. I couldn't breathe, everything hurt, I couldn't move, I could hear people, but couldn't respond. It was awful. The closest I've ever been to that was when I had pneumonia, but this was much worse. It was obvious I couldn't go home.

My stomach was starting to bruise.
David put ice on my head to help with the headache. I had to stay on oxygen because of the breathing problems. To be honest, I was scared. I was also hallucinating. Very freaky.
I have no idea what was being pumped into me at that point.
I finally decided I would rather deal with pain than with dilaudid. They put me on something for my headache, which helped and eased the pain a little, but wasn't so strong. Once my head started to clear and I didn't feel like throwing up, things started to get better.

By Thursday morning I felt more like living than dying, which was a nice change. I was able to come home on Thursday afternoon.
My stomach now looks like this.
My flowers look like this. Much prettier.
Overall, things are going good. Yesterday (Friday) was a hard day. My mom went home and at one point I found myself sitting on the edge of my bed sobbing. Baylie found me and it freaked her out. I decided I needed to get myself together. The prescription I got for pain at home is hydrocodone and it works great without making me nauseous. The problem is I keep trying to skip doses, which usually results in problems. (I am my mother's daughter...)

Today has been my best day so far. Typing this blog post has wiped me out, so I'm sure I'll take a nice long nap afterwards, provided I can find a pain-free or at least manageable position in which to lie.

Ironically, I gained 9 pounds while in the hospital! I know it's all liquid and maybe gas, but still! Speaking of gas, part of my recovery is that I have to walk around a lot so that I can burp and pass gas. The kids find that hilarious.

Here are some things I have discovered through this process.
  • I married the best man on planet Earth. There is no way I could have done any of this without David. He has had to take care of me like never before in our marriage and he has been so loving and kind. He's helped me walk, shower and sit down to go to the bathroom. (Fortunately, he hasn't had to help with bathroom clean up...) He makes sure I eat, drink, take my medicine and never complains about any of it. 
  • No matter how old I get, I will always need my mother. I thought I could do this without her and that was just plain stupid. There is no way I could have handled everything without her. My kids never missed a beat. They loved being with her and I think they were a little disappointed when I came home. She is so selfless and service-minded. I love her so much.
  • I love my kids. While I was gone, Jalen told my mom, "I miss Mommy in my heart." I missed him in my heart too. It's so good to all be under the same roof again.
  • When the doctor tells  you to eat good foods and exercise. Do it. Anything is better than what I have just been through. (I fully recognize that it's not that simple for some people, me included.)
  • Good health is a blessing not to be taken for granted. It is miraculous that our bodies work the way they do and when something goes wrong, it is awful. I am so grateful that I have enjoyed good health for most of my life.
Now, I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment