Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Got Milk?

I struggle to get in enough protein. Since I'm losing my hair, it has become even more important to get in my protein. One of the easiest ways to do this is through protein shakes.

Right after surgery, I drank the Atkins ready-to-drink shakes. I liked them and they were easy to drink. However, they don't have enough protein to really meet the need and drinking enough to reach my protein numbers would be really expensive.
Once I could tolerate it, I started making shakes with Pure Protein. I didn't mind the taste, but my body had a really hard time processing them. After I'd finish a shake, I'd feel like a ton of bricks had been dropped on me. I would sweat and need to lie down for a few minutes. It was strange.
I started to dread drinking the shakes and instead started buying protein bars. The bars are easy to digest and I can grab one to eat on my way to the gym. Unfortunately, they aren't cheap so it's difficult to rely on them as my primary source of protein.
The other day, I made my kids smoothies - no protein powder involved. I drank some and was surprised to find that my body reacted the same as to my protein shakes. I realized that it wasn't the protein that was causing the problem. I thought that maybe it was the milk.

So I decided to try Almond Milk. I was surprised to find that I didn't have as hard a time drinking the shake. It was a completely different experience. Silk was on sale and I had coupons, so I stocked up and just froze a bunch of it.
I have no idea what it could be about the milk, but apparently my body doesn't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment